A disposable vaginal speculum is an instrument made of metal or plastic that is used to keep the orifices of natural cavities open. Its goal is to prevent infection. Because of the polished surface on the inside of the cavities, it is also feasible to see what is on the other side of the walls of the cavities. This is because the light can enter more easily. There is an appropriate model that corresponds to each form of examination, as follows: we differentiate between: We differentiate between a few different kinds, including.
Disposable Vaginal Speculum
In gynecology, after its introduction into the vagina, the Disposable Vaginal Speculum permits the visualization of this organ optimally thanks to the spacing of its walls. This is done by inserting the vaginal speculum into the vagina. The installation of this tool makes it easier to collect samples from both the vagina and the cervix. This is an important step in the diagnostic process. This action is carried out to seek an infectious germ, do a cervicovaginal smear (of the cervix and vagina), and also look for the reason for the bleeding. All of these objectives are pursued simultaneously. Lastly, it enables you to implant or remove an intrauterine device (IUD).
The Speculum of The Ear:
It has the shape of a funnel and is used to check the eardrum as well as the external auditory canal.
The Nasal Speculum:
Has movable valves that permit the nasal cavities to be viewed from outside the nose. The presence of a thread makes it possible to easily adjust the distance between the nose’s wings whenever necessary thanks to the spacing of these.
The Disposable Vaginal Speculum:
In most cases, it is constructed out of polystyrene or plastic. It entails employing the practice of utilizing something just once before discarding it.
What is its intended purpose?
- In the case of once-a-year checkups, the clinical examination is carried out by the physician using a speculum to inspect the inside walls of the body. The physician examines the color, appearance, and flexibility of the skin, as well as the existence or absence of a lesion and bleeding. During this examination, the cervix, the vaginal mucosa, the cervicovaginal secretions, and samples will be collected so that the macroscopic appearance of the cervix and the vaginal mucosa may be observed.
- So, the purpose of this device is to widen the walls of the vagina to facilitate a more thorough examination of the vagina as well as the cervix. It also makes it possible to perform a variety of treatments on the uterus by dilating the vagina, which provides access to the uterus.
The following are examples of medical procedures that need the use of a disposable vaginal speculum:
- Vaginal swabs
- Surgical excision of polyps
- Egg retrieval
- Insertion or removal of an intrauterine device (IUD) by curettage
- In the context of a fertility check-up, an examination is performed.
The Various Types of Disposable Vaginal Speculum
There are many distinct varieties of each. These are the most prevalent ones:
- These components can be removed as needed.
- The Cusco speculum has valves that cannot be taken apart individually. They are typically made of metallic materials, making them capable of being sterilized and consequently reusable.
- As a result of their inability to be disinfected, disposable specula are only good for one usage. It is a device that, when used by a gynecologist, makes it possible for the vaginal cavity to be extended by creating a narrow space between the vaginal walls. You will then be able to undertake the necessary interventions after doing a more thorough examination of the inside.
- Other types of specula are also available for use by gynecologists. These include the Jayle speculum, which features a double movement that allows it to spread both the vulva and the walls of the vagina, and the Koogan speculum, which is frequently utilized during colposcopies because it makes it simpler to access the cervix.
Reusable or Disposable Vaginal Speculum:
Plastic or metal can be used to make a disposable vaginal speculum; either model is appropriate for your consultations; the price difference between the two is the only significant factor. This metal material is constructed of stainless steel, and as a result, it needs to be cleaned and sterilized after each usage to make the reusable version more comfortable for gynecologists to work with. Plastic is used to construct the disposable speculum, and because it is single-use only, it does not require cleaning or sterilization. As a result, it is more hygienic and cost-effective than other options, and patients report that they are more at ease using it because it does not result in thermal shock.